The soft bristle tooth brush is the better for your gums because it does not damage the gum line. This will reduce the risk of causing gum recession which will lead to the neck of the tooth to become exposed. The dentine once exposed in this area can wear away faster.

Soft bristle brushes also tend to mold around the tooth surface better for a thorough clean. The finer bristles also allow for a denser tuft so more to clean the surface with.

Stiffer bristle brushes will not contact the entire tooth surface because they are less flexible. Consequently the cleaning of the tooth surface is not efficient.

Plaque, which is the collection of bacteria and food particles, is soft like cottage cheese. Soft bristle brushes is sufficient to remove this. However, once the plaque calcifies and becomes tartar or calculus, only a dentist or dental hygienist can remove this.

Good tooth brushing technique is necessary for keeping the plaque volumes low. Tooth brushing removes about 60% of plaque on teeth, the other 40% of plaque needs to be removed using the floss.

Remember to choose soft bristle tooth brushes next time you shop! It may not feel like you are cleaning well but you are, in more ways than one!

Roland Chong

Roland has over 20 years experience as a general dentist. Roland does all aspects of general dentistry with a special interest in prosthodontics (crown and bridge work) and cosmetic dentistry. A member of the International Team of Implantology, Roland is constantly developing his skills by collaborating with international experts.